What are the rules surrounding final pay of a terminated employee? Do I have to provide payment within a certain amount of time? What am I required to pay out? What can I deduct?
These are a few of the common questions that come up from our clients. As an employer it is important to know the requirements upon termination of an employee. Important note: Depending on your state, regulations may vary. Click the hyperlink to view a list of Wage and Hour Divisions by state.
The following resources are from the State of California Department of Industrial Regulations (DIR):
- CA rules on paydays, pay periods, and final wages (with Q&A):
- CA final pay (Former Gov. Brown): click here
- Q&A on final paychecks: click here
- More on final payments: click here
Additional information about California Wage Payment Laws can be found
from the Employment Law Handbook webiste. View by clicking here
- The U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) page on final paychecks:
- List of Wage and Hour Divisions by state: click here